12/08/2017

Japanese Quilt Stars

The Christmas project for you this weekend, are these cool stars. I named them Japanese Quilt Stars, because they look like the stars often used in traditional quilts - and I made you special print-and-cut paper sheets for these, with lots of Japanese vibe. 

They are surprisingly simple modular (6 unit) origami stars - not made from square papers, but from rectangular ones. I have made you some very easy to use sheets for printing and cutting, crop marked for your convenience. With my sheets a star like this is about 18 centimeters across.

My sheet-designs are for printing on both sides, because this design really displays both sides of the paper (and they have a very pretty and completely different looking backside....)

To print these sheets (four small sheets per A4, and you need six units for one star) on both sides, set the printer to print 'page 1 only'. Then grab your sheets from the 'out'-tray, turn them over, put them in the feed tray blank side up, and print again, this time set to 'page 2 only'. I do this all the time, because of my obsession with designing my own origami paper, which - of course - is so much nicer with print in two different designs.

Download my designs right here. I mixed them a lot, as you can see from the backsides, but just one pattern can be varied, in alternating between which pattern you face outwards, in the first fold. 

2021: I have a new location for my downloads, and they are now to be downloaded one page at a time, but for results like in my images, pair the designs like I have, one for the front, one for the back.
A: red waves and dots:  FRONT  /  BACK
B: blue arrows and squares
FRONT  /  BACK
C: pink stripes and trianglesFRONT  /  BACK
D: blue waves and diagonals
FRONT  /  BACK
E: red snow and waves
FRONT  /  BACK
F: blue stars and dotsFRONT  /  BACK

Last but not least: the stars are really not hard to make at all, if you have just a little bit of origami experience, but I have not produced my own tutorial for these, since there is no way I could explain them as well as this patient Indian gentleman on YouTube. 


Happy folding, and have a great weekend.
 

No comments :

Post a Comment